Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I'm Not a Lizard!!

I wanted to share a response I wrote in an email last week to a fellow mom who was asking for prayer and encouragement with the craziness of life.  I think I was able to relate in so many ways to how she was feeling, because I've been there too many times myself.  Maybe you're in the same boat as a busy parent, or maybe it's an entirely different season for you right now.  Regardless, I hope the Lord can use this to help you today wherever He's placed you doing whatever He's called you to do.  Here's a copy of what I wrote:


"A couple of thoughts I had (not because I have it figured out, but because I completely understand where you are coming from!)...When I find myself in what I call "weary mode"(which happens more often than I wish it did) I can usually retrace my steps and see I have been attempting to do everything out of my own strength. This is never intentionally, but it's just like I slip right into "Shannon strength" and before I know it I feel chaos all around me in every direction. I don't know if you can relate to that or not, but that's where I find myself sometimes. We hear it said so often it starts to lose it's meaning sometimes, but God's Word is absolutely true, and He tells us, "The joy of the Lord is my strength!" I can NOT do it in and of myself. I will fail and be continually weary and feel like I just stay in maintenance mode if I don't allow Him to be my strength. It feels just awful. Zechariah 4:6 says, "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord." One of my mentors once told me when I was in the midst of a weary time that when you break down that verse into the original language there is a very vivid picture when it talks about the "not by might...power" part. The word picture is one of a scampering lizard frantically running around. I don' t know what image that puts in your mind, but for me, it nailed me. That's exactly what I look like when I am living out of my own strength. MY might and power accomplish nothing more than me scampering around like a lizard in a hundred directions...nothing very strong and powerful about that. No strength and meaning. I want to be a strong woman of God who makes great impact for the kingdom. I want to be an honorable woman of God who lives on purpose and with purpose every day, able to live with the bigger picture always in mind. I can not do it in my own strength. He is my life. He is my joy. He is my hope. He is my strength. Only in Him can I find real power to live out all He has called me to do and be.



Last, I wanted to mention, one of my favorite things I love from the writings of Elisabeth Elliot is when she talks about the great strength she found over the years by one simple method. Just "Do the next thing." As simple as this sounds, this has carried me through more than one day when I've felt weary to the bone or overwhelmed with the tasks of the day. Shannon, just do the next thing. Don't be overwhelmed. Just one thing at a time. The Lord is our strength minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. Yes, we must begin with the end in mind. We must focus on the big picture. But we can only do that one decision at a time. One task at a time. Just do the next thing."




I would love to hear from any of you guys reading the blog.  What practical ways do you use to really allow the joy of the Lord to be your strength?  We know we should, but knowing and doing are, truthfully, two separate things.  I'd love to learn from some of you ways the Lord has shown you to allow Him to be your strength when life feels overwhelming.  

No scampering lizards today!!!  By His Spirit!




4 comments:

  1. Great advice. I also try to stay focused in the present, knowing God will take care of tomorrow. I try to laugh, and remember to have fun with my family and friends as we're all "dancing on this journey" of life. If I have to, I will look at the silly pictures that always make me smile! The JOY of the Lord is my strength! Praise music ALWAYS lifts me up, as well! I enjoy your blog! Love, Jamie
    www.dancingonthejourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your advice, Jamie! Thanks for sharing. I always love more practical tips! Love your blog, too! Blessings! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you posted this, there were several times where I thought I was going to just throw in the towel and shut myself in my room, but I remembered that I was doing things in MY strength and the old Christian song from Twila Paris "Not by Might" came to mind as I pressed on in cheerfulness. Thanks so much for imparting wisdom to the frazzled mothers like me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting,Fish Family! Is it kinda' bad that it encourages me to hear that I'm not the only mom who feels like throwing in the towel and shutting myself in a room sometimes?! Great reminder of that song. The Lord often brings a song or scripture to mind for me, too, in those moments. We are so incredibly blessed and He IS our strength, isn't He?!

    ReplyDelete