Monday, March 28, 2011

"In the Corners of the Night..." by Jake



Yesterday Jake, our 13 year old remembered at the last minute that his 6th grade class at church was doing talent night...nothing formal, just a casual night of talent/variety show among friends.  He said, "I'll just write a quick poem and read it."  Now, Jake is an incredibly gifted writer, but I didn't love the idea of him just throwing something together.  I questioned him on whether or not this was a good idea.  He said, "Don't worry mom, I'm fine."  He went to the computer and spit out a poem in no more than 10 minutes.  When he came in the room to read it to me I was blown away.  My first question to him when he finished was, "Can I have your permission to print that on my blog?" Love this.  Just a sample of the mind of this boy. Yes, I'm bragging...Mama's are allowed to do that, right, especially on their own blog?!  In all seriousness, I have to brag on our Lord.  I love seeing little glimpses in our children of what He's up to.  Hope you enjoy the poem.  I didn't worry about changing punctuation, capitalization, etc. Just left it how he wrote it. 




In the corners of the night where it glows dark red
behind the black gates of stone, iron, and lead
hides the dark creature, Satan, in his flowing grey robes,
he stands like a king as time unfolds.
Now Satan glares down, on the Earth below,
and gives evil demons seeds of death to sow.
He prowls like a lion, though he seems harmless as a dove,
he truly is a being who has no love.
As the clock goes tick, and then it says tock,
Satan says he’ll never give, he’s as solid as a rock.
His armies of horseman, it kills and destroys,
exploiting evil pleasures of men and boys.
It seems there’s no hope for the people of Earth,
for Satan keeps a coming in his fiery mirth.
But just when hope for mankind looked grim,
while we were oh so lost in our sin,
came a rider on a white horse with a gold crown,
we hoped his kingdom could strike Satan’s down.
As this man Jesus went from town to town,
saying turn to the Lord cast your sins down
Satan’s workers, the Pharisees, were still doing all the evil they pleased.
They bombarded Jesus, wherever he went,

with a great many questions but he did not consent,
Jesus turned to them and said with a loud cry,
"The way to the Father is no other than I!”
Satan drew back again, poised to strike,
like a crafty black serpent, with gleaming red eyes
he struck forwards, at Jesus’s heel,
and within a day Jesus’s tomb was sealed.
Satan laughed with victory, he thought he had won,
but he didn’t get that he was messing with God’s only son!
Three days later there was a rumbling noise, followed by a snap and a shout.

The stone of the tomb was rolled away, and Jesus walked out!
Satan perhaps had bruised Jesus’s heel,
but that wasn’t enough to make Jesus kneel.
Jesus went to that serpent, whose eyes glowed red,
and in victory Jesus crushed its head.


                                                  






-All I have left to say is, "HALLELUJAH!!!"

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I say that with big alligator tears in my eyes. Isn't this all that we hope for for our kids? To be a children of the King, wholly sold out and ready to share it with the world. What a blessing! I look forward to seeing God continue to use your young man of God in mighty ways! Thanks for sharing - Praise God!
    Beth Moody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you guys for reading! Beth, you're exactly right...that's it. All that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty amazing! Especially that he has the heart to write it!

    ReplyDelete